Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster






Most books that aim to teach children moral lessons are not enjoyable. They are preachy, they are dull, they are smug. Not this one!

Bored Milo goes on the adventure of his life, and learns that life is what you make it. Sounds too worthy, doesn't it?

This book is full of puns and plays on words, surprises and jokes. It pits words against numbers, it takes cliches literally and it zips along at a fantastic pace. I have read this book many times, starting from when I was about 10, and each time I read it I find more that I had not noticed before. My 7 year old daughter loved it, even though many of the ideas and jokes were beyond her.

This is a book that every child and adult should read. There is a film of the book that I saw once many years ago, but as is so oftern the case, the book is far superior. If you have never read it, get a copy now!

No comments:

Post a Comment